UPDATE: Clover Food Truck

WARNING: I have been informed by another individual that a cashier at Clover Food Truck said that the chickpea fritter is NOT fried in a dedicated gf fryer...therefore, the item is not safe for Celiacs! Although I did not get sick, you might...so don't try it!

Oh. My. Lord.

Clover Food Truck...I love you so much that it is difficult to express in words, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway.
Of course I was nervous at first, since food trucks are scary to navigate, especially since food trucks are new to Boston, but I decided to give Clover a shot at the Dewey Square location. At first, I got the chickpea fritter sans pita bread after confirming with the cashier that it would be gf, but then I started eating it and was very confused as to whether or not she knew what she was talking about. I decided to shoot a tweet to @CloverDWY in order to confirm that the chickpea fritter was gf, and their Executive Chef @RolandoRobledo confirmed that it was! Okay, now that all of that has been sorted out, let's get down to the food details.


We've got the chickpea fritter sans pita bread, with a salad of tomatoes, cucumbers, and spices, pickled vegetables including carrots, red cabbage, red onions, lettuce, and a sauce made of tahini, lemon juice, water and salt. Full details here. This thing is absolutely PHENOMENAL. The combination of textures and flavors is delightful, and I find myself craving this meal all the time. The ingredients are super fresh, and you can taste the difference. The chickpea fritter is very light, not greasy at all, and works well with the zingy hummus.

You'll also notice the basil lemonade next to my chickpea fritter, which was perfectly refreshing for a warm spring day. It has chopped raw basil, lemon juice, sugar, and water.

The Clover Food Truck is simply awesome, so check out their menu and find a way out of your office and get to one of their trucks ASAP (sometimes they run out of food/ingredients, and the line can be super long).

Locations: Clover DWY, Summer Street and Atlantic Ave near South Station T Stop (more locations below at their website)
Website: http://www.cloverfoodlab.com/?page_id=2248


11 comments:

Becky said...
July 12, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I attempted to get the chick pea fritters a few weeks ago because of your tweet about clover and was told they were gluten free by the cashier. When I inquired about cross contamination, (a big issue with all fried foods),I found out that the batter is in fact gluten free, but the fritters are fried with other food items that have been battered with wheat flour. In the frying process the wheat based batter breaks off of the other food and will stick to the chick pea fritters making them not gluten free anymore. If you have Celiac Disease I wouldn't reccommend eating them unless you can verify that they are fried in their own dedicated fryer that hasn't been used to fry products that contain wheat.

KMB said...
July 12, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Hi Becky!

Very interesting, I asked the cashier about the cross-contamination as well and she said it was fried alone. Maybe it depends on the truck location? Or maybe the cashiers don't actually know what the situation is? I'm going to contact them to get the official low-down, but thank you for letting me know that there is an information gap!

- Kaity

Becky said...
July 12, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I hope the cashier is right. Those chick pea fritters look awesome and it would make for a nice new gf lunch alternative!Here's hoping.

Fostee said...
September 8, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Hey there! Are there any gluten free social gatherings in Boston? I just moved here from Atlanta and am pumped about finding some new GF places and meeting some fellow GF friends Do you have a list of your top 5 or 10 places close to the city? Thanks for any help and this sweet blog!

Estefania Souza Luque said...
February 28, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Hi. I am a journalism student at BU writing a story on GF diets and their availability. Would you mind answering a few questions for me?

GFBos said...
July 14, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Indeed, you can still have the Egg&Egg (Eggplant and Egg) platter, which is perfectly fine. We go a lot to the Harvard Square location. We will soon review this place in our new blog, degluten.me

Best,
GFBOS

Mark Martin said...
December 17, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Hello! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about best restaurant in boston. I am glad to stop by your site and know more about best restaurant in Boston. Keep it up! This is a good read. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well.
Dining at the best restaurant in Boston is easier and more affordable with UrBackYard.com.

Layne Adams said...
March 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Hi there! great stuff here, I'm glad that I drop by your page and found this very interesting. Thanks for posting. Hoping to read something like this in the future!
Don’t have a favorite restaurant yet? You will once you see how far your money can travel to some of the best restaurant in Boston. Think you already know the best areas to eat? See if we can’t introduce you to a new and delicious restaurant. On a tight budget? Don’t rule anything out until you see the deals that we can offer you through our unique Passport Promotions™ coupons. They’re simple to use and guaranteed.

Social Media said...
August 19, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Buy Twitter Followers
Thanks for sharing the idea there would be some apprehensions from segment but i am up for it.

kaledcsa said...
September 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM

wow have to look for this one--I love when I find the KickAss Cupcakes truck and get GF red velvet-mmmm

www.kaledcsa.wordpress.com

check out my gluten free CSA box blog!

Immanuel Kabuhung said...
August 26, 2014 at 4:26 AM

Hey!

I would like to invite you to check out our site mytaste.com. Adding your blog to our site will make your recipes available to many more users and help you get more visits to your blog. Our service is free and can you would be able to leave us any time.

If you like the idea of being found on our page, please, add your blog here http://www.myTaste.com/add-your-food-blog

More info: info@mytaste.com
I hope to see you there soon!

Kind Regards,
Immanuel Kabuhung

Post a Comment