Back Bay/Newbury Street Restaurants

Many people have been asking me about Back Bay/Newbury Street restaurants that accommodate gluten-free diners. Many of the Newbury Street restaurants are on the nicer side, and are easily able to edit meal ingredients. Also, Boston, like NYC, is a city that is very aware of gluten intolerances and other allergies, and every single restaurant is mandated by regulation to have a sign in its window saying “before you order, please let us know if you have any allergies.” In addition to this sign, restaurant workers have been required to complete training in regards to allergens. All of this being said, you MUST tell your waiter or waitress about your gluten intolerance…do not expect to go to any restaurant and look at the menu and think that you can decipher on your own what is safe and what is not. Below are my recommendations:
  • On Newbury Street
  • *The Otherside CafĂ© (gluten-free menu)
  • *Stephanie’s on Newbury
  • *Sonsie
  • Tapeo
  • Capital Grille (pricey)
  • Papa Razzi (chain restaurant, gluten-free menu)

There are also restaurants on Boylston Street...

  • On Boylston Street
  • Cactus Club
  • *Sel de la Terre
  • Atlantic Fish Co. (pricey)
  • Top of the Hub (pricey)
  • Uno Chicago Grill (chain, gluten-free menu)
  • *Turner Fisheries (gluten-free menu, inside of the Copley mall)
  • Legal Sea Foods (chain, gluten-free menu, inside of Prudential Center)
  • Wagamama (chain, gluten-free denoted on regular menu, inside of Prudential Center)
  • P.F. Chang’s (chain, gluten-free menu, inside of Prudential Center)

All of the above restaurants are restaurants that I have actually eaten at, but there are some additional restaurants that I have heard about with g-free options that are in the Back Bay/Newbury Street area listed below:

  • Maggiano’s Little Italy (g-free menu)
  • The Melting Pot (g-free menu)
  • Cafeteria Boston
  • Davio’s (g-free menu)
  • Globe Bar and Cafe
  • Vlora

Lastly, I’d like to point out that restaurants with asterisks (*) next to them are my favorite restaurants. Happy eating!

9 comments:

Am said...
April 7, 2011 at 2:07 PM

This is a really helpful list -- thank you for putting it together! My only comment pertains to the Cactus Club, which accidentally 'glutened' me once by re-plating contaminated food. If you are going to eat there, make sure you talk to a manager before you order so they can oversee that the kitchen staff prepares and handles your food properly.

KMB said...
April 7, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Hi Am!
I'm not sure when you last visited, but I went about a year ago and they had a gf menu and the manager came over to the table w the menu to talk to me. That being said, they recently within the past 6 months got a fancy new chef and menu, so it would be helpful to know when you got glutened (hopefully things are more safe now!). Either way, thank you for sharing your story and thank you for reading!

Walter said...
April 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I noticed that you didn't include Vlora which is right at Copley Square. They are pricey but are great about their menu.

KMB said...
April 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I've added it! Thank you Walter!

Dawn Clancy said...
April 28, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Hi, My name is Dawn Clancy and I live in Somerville, and I'm a gluten free baker! Starting this weekend, my baked goods can be found at True Grounds Cafe in Ball Square, Somerville, and at The Chocolate Tarte at 717 Broadway, Somerville. Sorry for the sales pitch, but if you are out and about and crave something sweet you can visit these great places! My website Curtisstreetbakers.com tells more! Thanks!

Anonymous said...
April 29, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Thanks so much for your website! We are NANA'S PIZZA & GF Cafe in Everett. We missed great food and socializing with friends. So were happy to open the GF cafe this year and share it with our fellow celiacs!! Please visit us and introduce yourself!!
We are at www.glutenfreecafe.webs.com
Gia&Anthony R>

Anonymous said...
April 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Just wanted to comment about the Melting Pot. They literally have ONE gf menu and they make you feel like crap for requesting it. I had the worst time there and their food still made me feel ill - can't say if it was because it had gluten in it or not, but I would just steer clear - there are far better places and far better ways to spend that kind of money

Economister said...
June 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Thanks so much for posting these. I'm staying this week in Copley for business and no, they don't understand gluten-free in the luncheons. I'm going to have to chase down a food truck, I think.

Janelle said...
July 31, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Hello,

I work in the PR department at the Four Seasons Boston. I'm excited to inform you that the Bristol Lounge has a special Gluten Free Menu. It would be great if you could include us in your list of restaurants that offer Gluten Free Menus on your website. If you would like I can send copies of the Bristol Lounge's Gluten Free Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Menus. Please let me know if you have any questions or would like further information.

Thank you!
Janelle

PRintern BOS
PR Intern
Four Seasons Hotel Boston
200 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02116, USA
voice: +1 617-351-2161
email: PRintern.BOS@fourseasons.com
web: http://www.fourseasons.com/boston

"Four Seasons Hotel Boston: overlooking America's first Public Garden, in the heart of Back Bay, where culture, business and history unite."
"A Forbes Five Star, AAA Five Diamond Hotel."

Post a Comment