Orinoco

After a recommendation from one of my twitter followers, I visited Orinoco in the South End with some of my friends. I drooled over the menu for days, as I had heard that something like 95% of the menu was gluten-free!

I started off with the trio of empanadas for $8 (cod, domino, and mechada) and a glass of white sangria. Truthfully, I didn't know what was in the domino or mechada at the time, so I wasn't exactly sure what I was eating, but they were all great! I think I was just so excited to be eating an empanada that I totally lost all of my focus and control. The domino empanada had black beans and cheese, while the mechada had shredded beef and cheese.


Next, I had an arepa for $6 , which is a traditional Venezuelan corn pocket sandwich. I chose the pernil arepa, which is roasted pork shoulder, since pernil is a dish that my family has been making for my entire life. It was a bit on the dry side, but still flavored well. I'm not a fan of mojo sauce, but perhaps if I had been it would've masked the dryness of the pork. I loved that I was able to eat a sandwich, and the corn had great texture and flavor.


Next time I go back, I want to try the reina pepiada arepa, the orinoco salad, and the cordero tradicional. See their website to drool on your own, and head into the South End or the Brookline Village location to enjoy friendly and quick service and delicious food.

Location: 477 Shawmut Ave, Boston, MA (South End)
Website: http://orinocokitchen.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment