Gaslight Brasserie du Coin

I visited Gaslight with my sister for one of my birthday dinners. I've heard a lot of people rave about the food here, and I've been pining over the menu for quite some time, so I was really excited to finally visit.

I have to say that it was a pretty awful dining experience overall. My first qualm was with the host. We arrived 15 minutes early and were told that we would have to wait until our exact reservation time to be sat, so we waited about 5-7 feet from the host stand so that we wouldn't be missed when our time came. As a former host and server myself, I prefer if someone arrives early so that I can seat them and hopefully the table can turn over quicker, but since every restaurant is different, I didn't mind waiting. By the way, the entire front room of the restaurant was empty and there were tons of tables available (therefore our little 2-top could've been swapped out with a different reservation).

However, while waiting, about 10 other parties walked in and were sat immediately; while some of these reservations could've been late, I cannot imagine that that was the case for all of them. Our reservation time rolled around, and the host continued to seat every party that walked in except us. We waited 5 more minutes until we approached the host, and we were then made to wait another 10 minutes. When we were finally sat, we were sat next to the open kitchen door and it took 35 minutes for our order to be taken. As a result, I spent most of my time at the restaurant being extremely angry, which is rare for me. Our table could've been turned over 1+ hours earlier if we had just been sat when we immediately walked in.

Our server was very nice and experienced, but very absent during our time there. Luckily, the food was amazing, or I would've left very unhappy. I had the escargot and the steak tartare.

I have heard that Gaslight has the best escargot in Boston, and I have to confirm that this is true. The steak tartare was also absolutely amazing.

My sister had a beet salad and french onion soup (non-gf). I tried her beet salad and it was outstanding; it also went really well when mixed with the steak.


As much as I hated my time at Gaslight, the food was so great that I would return again.

Location: 560 Harrison Ave, Boston, MA 02118 (South End)
Website: http://www.gaslight560.com
Bill Total: ~$53 excluding tax and tip (including carafe of wine and dessert)

2 comments:

jacflash said...
October 14, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Yeah, but... how was the experience of EATING there from a GF perspective? How much of the menu can be made GF? Gaslight is famous for their steak frites... can the frites be done GF? I have wanted to go to Gaslight for awhile but I didn't know whether they could do anything I'd want to eat. And I still don't! You told us a lot about your experience with the waitstaff but very little about the food itself.

KMB said...
October 27, 2010 at 9:34 AM

They are very competent about gf food at Gaslight...I was told that all I had to do was ask and they could make a lot of the menu items gluten-free. The food itself was outstanding (especially the beet salad...one of the most delectable methods of preparing beets that I have ever tasted in my life). Thank you for the feedback...perhaps I was too angry to concentrate on reviewing the actual food.

Post a Comment