GF Boston On The Road: Eatonville


My visit to DC brought me to Eatonville in Adams Morgan. As a fan of African-American literature, I was blown away by the Zora Neale-Hurston inspiration, the antebellum America setting, and of course, the menu. The entire experience was amazing, and I didn't even mind the 30 minute wait because I got to have a drink in a rocking chair in front of a live folk band.


I started off by drinking a Georgia Peach, which consists of Georgia Moon Peach Corn Whiskey, Sweet Tea, Citronge, and Lemonade ($8). The drink was served in a mason jar and I was instantly hooked! After a few Georgia Peach's we headed over to our table.

The place was packed, and therefore things were a little slow, but our server was sweet and checked several times with the kitchen each time I had a question about whether something could be prepared gluten-free.

I wanted the catfish with jalapeno-cheddar grits, braised collared greens, and tomato butter ($16), but was informed that the fish wouldn't be the same without the breading. My backup choice was the Bourbon BBQ Baby Back Ribs with corn on the cob, coleslaw, and Cajun fries ($21). I nixed the fries and subbed mashed potatoes, and ordered a side of the jalapeno-cheddar grits.


I totally underestimated what I ordered because I found myself surrounded with an overwhelming amount of food (which lead to a massive to-go box later on!). The ribs were cooked PERFECTLY, and everything was seriously outstanding. The grits could've used a few more jalapenos, but were still absolutely delicious.

If you live in the DC Metro area and haven't been to Eatonville, book a reservation and get yourself over there ASAP. If you're heading in from out of town, put it on your to-visit list and have a Georgia Peach for me!

Location:
2121 14th St. NW, Washington, DC 20009 (202-332-9672)
Website: http://eatonvillerestaurant.com/index.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
June 19, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Hi,

Got a google alert that led me to your blog and post about us. Thanks for the kind words! Glad that you had a wonderful time and enjoyed the food and drinks. Let me know if you're on Twitter -- would like to tag you if we tweet about your post! - Michael Chan, Marketing & Events for Eatonville Restaurant.

KMB said...
June 19, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Hello Michael,

Can't wait to make another visit, and I'm salivating just thinking about it :)

I am on twitter @gfboston!

Post a Comment