Top of the Hub

As many of you know, my restaurant week hasn't been going well so far. I wrote about my confusion with Atlantic Fish Co on Monday with a new article in The Examiner, and now I'm sad to say that Top of the Hub didn't exactly knock me off my feet either.

My non-gluten-free companion and I started off with an "escarole, radicchio, and endive salad with icicle radish, candy striped beets, lemon vinaigrette, and crumbled blue cheese." I have to be frank and say that the escarole tasted dirty. The radicchio combined with the lemon vinaigrette tasted like orange-chocolate liquor, which was practically vomit-inducing for me, since that is my least favorite flavor combination.

Our second course was a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin topped with a fig and stuffed with Italian sausage, Fontina cheese, and Spinach resting in potato puree and sage jus. It read hit-or-miss, but was actually exceptional. My pork was a bit dry, but everything else about the dish was outstanding. The stuffing was a pleasant surprise inside of the pork, and dipping the pork and stuffing into the potato puree and sage jus gave you a pop of Thanksgiving in your mouth. The fig was fine, but the dish would've been great without it as well. The flavors were distinct, yet understated.

The last course was creme brulee. I need to rant here...I have a serious problem when I'm spending money at a high-end restaurant so that they can serve me a junior high dessert like creme brulee. Thanks for wowing me Top of the Hub; if I wanted creme brulee I would've gone to Finale.

Even though the pork tenderloin kept me happy, I think I'll only return to Top of the Hub for their cocktails.


Location: 800 Boylston Street, Boston, MA (52nd Floor)
Website: http://www.topofthehub.net/

0 comments:

Post a Comment