Kinnikinnick White Sandwich Bread

I've only been a Celiac for three years, and I can definitely say that I still remember what "real" bread tastes like. Bread and butter was one of my favorite snacks as a kid, so I'm particularly harsh when judging gluten-free sandwich bread.

There are three criteria that I use when determining what makes a gluten-free bread worth purchasing: taste when not toasted, taste when toasted, and overall texture.


Most gluten-free bread tastes strange if it isn't toasted, so if I can manage to eat an untoast
ed slice without gagging or spitting..well, then I think that's a pretty good sign. If it tastes strange even after being toasted, then we have a serious problem. In terms of overall texture, a lot of GF breads can taste gritty or rough, and I haven't really encountered a brand that is fluffy like "real" bread..I'm sure the fact that the bread is always frozen or refridgerated doesn't exactly help the texture.

All of that being said, I've recently been eating Kinnikinnick White Sandwich Bread. It isn't terrible untoasted with condiments. Two weeks ago I actually had it untoasted as a raspberry peanut butter sandwich, and I didn't hate it!

It's definitely tasty when toasted, and it isn't as gritty a
s most gluten-free breads that I've tasted.

I think Kinnikinnick White Sandwich Bread is the best choice if you're looking for a bread that'll make great
morning toast with simple butter or strawberry jam. It has a taste that I can only describe as pure when I think about eating white bread.

Finally, it's only 70 calories per slice, which is the least amount of calories that I have ever seen in a GF bread, AND is less calories than a lot of regular sliced white bread!

Price: $5.99 at Whole Foods (Symphony and Prospect Street locations)
Untoasted: * * *
Toasted: * * * *
Overall texture: * * * *

(all ratings are out of five possible stars)


1 comments:

foxes722 said...
September 3, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I found and ordered Udi's white sandwich bread (which I've seen at whole foods now)... and since I too remember "real" bread, I'm a hard sell. I made a tuna sandwich on it lightly toasted and was so delighted I was eating a sandwich that I nearly cried... and totally made another one right away.

Post a Comment