Lunch: Provolone, Virginia Ham, & Smoked Turkey Sandwich

I have a feeling that a lot of GF eaters are suspicious of deli meat, and even I only used to purchase packaged deli meats, but I think you'll be surprised that service deli meats from your local grocer are usually okay to eat.

The key is to know your deli, know your brands, and don't be afraid to ask your service person to change his or her gloves or to wipe down the slicer because of your allergy.

Some of the brands that have announced their gluten-free deli products include Sara Lee/Hillshire Farms, Boar's Head, Dietz & Watson, and Applegate Farms. I found this article that might help anyone who has more questions: Deli-Meat GF List

Anyway, here's my favorite sandwich...I eat some sort of variation of it at least three ti
mes per week (including within the last hour).

My favorite sandwich:
  • Glutino Fiber Bread, toasted (or Kinnikinnick plain bagel toasted, or half of a Glutino plain bagel toasted)
  • Sara Lee provolone cheese
  • Boar's Head Virginia ham
  • Sara Lee smoked turkey
  • Gulden's spicy brown mustard
  • A small schmear of Hellman's mayo
Price: Varies
Calories: 380-400

1 comments:

Aaron said...
April 3, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Shaw's has just discontinued Sara Lee provolone in boston. Do you know another grocer locally that carries it?

Post a Comment